The Blackberry is one of the most popular new smartphones on the market and works for you as a digital assistant and portable media player. Though they have plenty of nice features, their real claim to fame is security. They can send out emails and instant messages with a high level of security through the technology of encryption. In addition to selling millions of smartphones, BlackBerry Internet Service also reaches 70 million customers.
Blackberry phones are very secure in general, but if you are using a public WI-FI spot then you are always open to the threat of interception or hacking. For security purposes, it is recommended that you sign up with a provider. The good news is that Blackberry devices already have built-in VPN clients that support several types of technology. Here are 10 steps to configure the settings.
Here is a step by step process for BlackBerry VPN setup:
- First, create a profile for the VPN connection. Configure the settings, including the IP address and username-password, by matching your email information to the system prompts. You can also associate the VPN profile with a connection’s profile, i.e. WI-FI.
- Go to Administration Service from the Solution Management menu.
- Go to Expand Policy and then to Wi-Fi configuration.
- Create the VPN profile and select a name. Save when finished.
- You may want to create a new VPN profile for a different technology. If so, then simply click on Manage VPN profiles and then select the profile that you want to copy.
- Click Copy Profile and then type a name for the new profile. Save your work.
- You can also assign a profile to a specific user account. Click Expand User and Manage Users.
- Search for the user you want to configure and then click Edit.
- In the profiles menu, click the profile you want to use and then specify the login information needed for association.
- Click Add, followed by Save All and then Copy. Rename the profile and then save the work. (You may also have to configure the new profile by going to Expand Policy, Wi-Fi configuration and Manage VPN profiles.)
The Blackberry is a secure device because it already has this security options ready to go. The installation processes are relatively simple and will allow you to surf with comfort, knowing that you’re information is not being compromised.